Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Essential Oils For Arthritis Relief


First consideration is inflammation in and around the joint area. Which essential oil to use depends on your source of information, from peppermint to nutmeg. I sometimes wonder whether the people recommending certain oils have done real research, and also tested them in practical situations. I personally have extensively researched, before, during and after my Aromatherapy Diploma. Most of all, I have applied the oils in real life situations, both in my pain relief clinic, and outside. Best personal example is a boiling hot water burn on my arm, after a big pot tipped on a stove, when a tea towel caught. A burn was from my wrist to my elbow, with an extra deep hole in one spot.

My treatment was to mix 2 essential oils in a cream base, and bandage twice daily. I never went to a doctor, and most healed in 2 weeks, except the deep bit which took another 2 or 3 weeks. There are no marks or scars to indicate that there was ever a burn. The oils were Blue/German Chamomile for the intense inflammation or burn, and Thyme essential oil for bacterial infection. Secondly, for arthritis, is the issue of tissue damage between or around the joints. There are several oils again, for cell rejuvenation, but again, which do you choose? An effective oil is benzoin, that is brilliant for damaged tissue regeneration, and also has profound calming properties.

For Rheumatoid arthritis, there are many, but one excellent oil is Thyme, which is antibacterial and anti viral, and helps boost the immune system. You may mix the essential oils into a cream, or vegetable oil base, say 10 drops of each essential oil, into 3 tablespoons of skin cream. You can also just mix the 4 oils together and use this blend full strength, which is wasteful, but could be useful for chronic pain. So the essential oil blend is blue chamomile, for inflammation.

Then thyme for infection and immune system. Then benzoin for cell healing, and finally, cinnamon leaf for actual pain relief. My first taste of arthritis was at sixty three, with very painful knees, but I can happily say I have not had any pain since. So natural remedies do work.

No comments:

Post a Comment